Do you need help with a Party Wall Act Dispute? Then call us now for a free assessment on 01922 725959

Party Wall Act Disputes

Disputes over party walls frequently occur between neighbours when properties are renovated, or when a change to a building is later found to have caused an issue with a party wall.

The Party Wall Act 1996 was introduced to regulate any alterations to a property, or to land with fences or walls.

Party walls apply mainly to semi-detached properties, such as terraced housing – but may also affect flats, including the ceilings and floors in a flat.

Changes to a property which might fall under the regulation of the Party Wall Act include:

  • Changes to a party fence
  • Changing a support beam
  • Cutting into a party wall
  • Damp proof installation
  • Demolition of a party wall or a section of it
  • Digging or excavating beneath the foundations of a party wall to within 3m to 6m of a neighbouring property
  • Digging or excavating beneath a garden party wall
  • Hanging a suspended ceiling beneath the floor of another property.

Renovation affecting party walls must be carried out in accordance with the Party Wall Act to prevent damage to an adjoining property.

This would not normally involve routine changes to a party wall, however – such as changing a light switch or electrical socket, or hanging a picture or shelving, unless the work involves drilling deeply into the wall or removing a section of the wall.

It is always advisable, however, to contact a party wall solicitor for advice if you are carrying out major renovations which might affect a party wall or boundary – or if a neighbour is planning to carry out renovations or has started on renovations which might affect a party wall between you.

In party wall disputes, it is essential to take legal advice from a party wall solicitor to protect your own interests and your property. The Party Wall Act details exactly what can and cannot take place regarding a party wall and a party wall solicitor will have the expertise to guide you through this.

LAWTEC Solicitors can advise homeowners and property developers carrying out property renovations on their rights and obligations under the Party Wall Act – and also have a successful track record in advising and representing homeowners whose home may be at risk as a result of a neighbouring renovation involving a party wall.

Making Objections under the Party Wall Act

Neighbours and developers carrying out renovations involving party walls must give adjacent property owners two months’ notice in writing of their plans.

Homeowners can make an objection to renovations involving a party wall within 14 days of receiving notification.

Homeowners may also agree in writing to the plans within 14 days if, for example, provision has been made for protecting the property of any neighbours affected by the works – and compensating any homeowners affected by the renovations.

If agreement cannot be reached in a party wall dispute, a joint surveyor is appointed – or either party can appoint its own surveyor – to draw up what is known as a party wall award, setting out details of:

  • The existing condition of the party wall
  • Works to be carried out
  • Protective measures need for adjacent properties
  • Timescales and time limits for the works
  • The Schedule for the surveyors’ building inspections.
Party Wall Injunctions

In some party wall disputes, if work has already commenced, it may be necessary to obtain a court order – called a party wall injunction – to stop the works temporarily.

The cost of applying for a party wall injunction can usually be claimed back from your neighbour if the court grants you the injunction.

Because of the time limits involved in making an objection under the Party Wall Act, it is crucial to take legal advice as soon as possible in a party wall dispute.

LAWTEC Solicitors advise clients to get in touch to discuss the issues as soon as they receive notice of any renovations involving a party wall, which might affect their property.

Funding Legal Action in Party Wall Disputes

LAWTEC Solicitors can usually offer clients who wish to take legal action in a party wall dispute a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) to fund their case.

LAWTEC Solicitors also offer a fixed fee arrangement for the initial assessment of a case involving a party wall dispute, so our clients know exactly how much they will be paying from the outset.

LAWTEC Solicitors

LAWTEC Solicitors is an independent law firm, who’s aim is to provide their clients with the highest standards of legal expertise together with exceptional customer service. We are a modern and progressive firm supporting our clients with direct lawyer contact, no hidden costs, specialist advice and free initial assessment.

Our main objective has always been to provide quality and efficient legal services together with expert advice and representation to our clients all over the world.

Interpreting the law can be a minefield, more so when it concerns a very new, or niche or particularly complicated matter. To help our clients navigate the law and achieve the best possible outcome, our legal team includes solicitors who specialise in many different areas of law and business sectors.

Each lawyer’s chosen specialism reflects their experience, in-depth knowledge and passion.

At LAWTEC Solicitors, we have specialist experience in all areas of Motoring Law/Immigration Law and Commercial leases and can provide our assistance in these matters with a free initial assessment to help you along the way.

Free Assessment National, Friendly Solicitors
Highly recommended Solicitors Agreed Fees – No Hidden Costs